Saturday, February 25, 2012

Shorter post

A quick answer to Geri who commented on my last post: yes, my fibro was worse in the US when I visited.  It came on slowly but built to a crescendo by the second week.  still I was able to keep up a fast pace, seeing lots of people and doing lots of things.  I was happy about that.  After getting back to Cuenca, it is taking awhile to return to the "70% less pain" level. Right now I'd say I'm feeling 50% less pain than one year ago when I was living in raindrop-ish Portland.

 I talked to  another Cuenca person with fibro who did not find the high altitude and low humidity, lack of severe cold or hot weather, lower stress environment changed her experience. I've also spoken with one person who had nearly total relief of symptoms.  So it is probably too individualized (like the disease of fibromyalgia) to know how it will impact you.  The whole tranquilo attitude in this city helps most people in general feel better day to day. But expect a little time to "settle in" to see how it all impacts you.  Hey I want to meet you when you arrive so let me know. Happy "end of crush" to get moved and safe travel.

And to Bob who commented about my interest in birds, thanks for your thoughts.  I have a seed feeder and simply have not hung it.  Will do that today.  Also will get a hummingbird feeder up this week and see how long it takes to see some hungry hummers.

And some random thoughts, activities:
I am working on a new quilt I started while I was in the US called "the melon block" quilt.  It has lovely earthy sunset colors - should look kind of elegant.  I'll post pictures of its progress.

I attended my first ever drawing class with Gary Myers this week. garymyersartist@gmail.com
 It was an excellent experience - I've had two of six classes now.  Gary is teaching the small class basic drawing techniques and to be free of anxiety in the process.  He is very comfortable teaching, encouraging, patient, full of ideas, has his own beautiful art work around/near the class space. I started out very anxious and ended the week relaxed and pleased with what I'm doing. Gary has created a safe space where people can explore at their own level.

This is for my son and daughter-in-law who fear Ecuador is really under-developed and cannot picture the safety and beauty of Cuenca:
This is a photo of a typical little housing group.  Our friends rent a 1600 ft home for $550. Renter buys own appliances (and furniture, of course).

Cuenca was just so lovely this week!  The weather was great with sunny days and the usual late afternoon rain.  I spoke Espanol with taxi drivers, shop keepers, restaurant owners and friends.  I'm getting so I can put together tiny "cave man" sentences.  In one particularly touching scene, I had just completed almuerzo (lunch) at a tiny restaurant.  I left and then remembered I wanted to visit a shop but did not know exactly where it was.  I stepped back into the restaurant to ask for directions.

Using the store name, I asked the owner (who was at the cash register) where it was. He did not know it and we struggled in Espanol for a moment.  Suddenly a customer seated behind where I stood at the register offered in English to help.  I spelled the name of the shop and attempted to pronounce it "Pycca".  He did not know it but a woman seated at the end of the tiny eatery who spoke only Espanol offered both pronunciation and location.  "It takes a restaurant to guide a newbie!" All were smiling.  I was delighted and proceeded to visit the store where I bought some storage items and baskets to help organize drawers and shelves in my kitchen.

This just demonstrates what life is like in Cuenca.  People are very helpful, friendly and go out of their way to connect.  Me gusta Cuenca!
Me gusta Ecuador!



Have a terrific new week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment