Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gorgeous weather in Cuenca, Ice Cream and a new quilt project

The weather in Cuenca, EC today was as perfect as I could hope for.  Clear skies,  a few afternoon puffy clouds some of the day, just warm enough (around 75 F) followed by a long, mild evening. Beautiful bird song floated through my studio window all day long, underscoring what a wonderful place I have to work on my craft, whether I'm writing or quilting.  What a joy!
                         A handsome couple in Tarqui

Early this morning, a plain sooty gray bird perched in the tree near my studio.  I picked up the binoculars.  This bird was singing all of his joy in the day in tones that reminded me of mockingbird song in the US.  I strained my eyes to memorize the slight markings I could see. About the size of a robin. Mostly his gold legs/feet and beak stood out.  He chortled, he trilled, he tipped his head back and showed off most gloriously. Are there birds like this in New Zealand?

I picked up my enormous new book,"The Birds of Ecuador Field Guide" Vol II, and searched  the photos for a bird that resembled my morning companion. I now have an idea of what type of bird he is but wish I knew someone who could tell me for sure if I'm close in identifying him.  Maybe a male great thrush? I can hear a lot of finches in the trees behind our building but I can only see a little bit of a tree where they sometimes land briefly.

Here is my newest quilt project, the melon block quilt.  I am just beginning to sew the 20 completed blocks together. I love this stage where it seems magical that it pulls together to look like a quilt and not just a bunch of pieces.  Here is a photo of it before any blocks are sewn to rows or columns.

After spending a couple of hours arranging the blocks just as I thought looked best, I numbered the blocks in the order in which they are to be sewn.  That helps me keep the arrangement straight as I sew the quilt top together.  Here is a shot of that process.

Mamas, teach your children to sew.  I'm surely glad my mother insisted!  I had no patience for sewing at age 12 ... but I'm so glad now that I had the basic skills to pick up sewing again 3 years ago after I read a book about the history of quilting in the US and got interested.

For a lark, I'm also using up left-over fabric and fat quarters (quarter yard pieces) I have on hand in a side project - I signed up for a free online "block of the month" class. This is, in this case, where people get directions for 2 blocks per month, without ever seeing a photo of the finished quilt ahead of time (which drives some people nuts!) until the end of the year when one has a completed quilt.

Here are the fabrics I'm using:


 Soon I'll post a picture of January and February's blocks:

Here is where anyone can sign up for this free online class:
www.craftsy.com    The largest block of the month class in the world

In the afternoon, I made ice cream using an attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.  I'm experimenting with recipes for vanilla ice cream. The product today was yummy but not quite right yet.  I used no eggs, cut way down on whipping cream and used whole milk.  I also added 1/2 cup of plain yogurt.  I reduced the sugar but it was a bit too sweet. More experimentation is called for.

I said I'd post some recent thoughts about life in Cuenca so next that is what I will do.
Have a terrific new week, wherever this finds you!
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon--

    I made the best ice cream. The secret was a little bit of cream cheese and corn syrup. Not traditional, but definitely the closest think to an old fashioned ice cream (notice, no eggs at all and a lot less cream!). This ice cream base is from Saveur, but the book is Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream at Home.

    INGREDIENTS
    2 cups milk
    4 tsp. cornstarch
    1 1/4 cups heavy cream
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. light corn syrup
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    3 tbsp. cream cheese, softened

    INSTRUCTIONS
    In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in 1/4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture. Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.

    Did you get your grain mill? Does it work well for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aunt Sharon! Thank you for the comments on my blog. I also like experimenting with different ice cream recipes. I think the ones I've tried are usually heavy on whipping cream though. And this lent season I gave up ice cream so I won't have any for a while.

    How is your Spanish going? There are conversation groups here in Sitka. Tuesday nights I attend the French group and Thursday nights are Spanish but now I work Thursdays so I've been going to the French class. I'm researching apps on the iphone to find some helpful flash cards with audio. Anyway, I enjoy the conversation groups, they're like a relaxing way of keeping you motivated.

    Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete